Thursday, May 15, 2008

Praying for a Disease?

I never thought I would say this, but I have been praying earnestly for weeks that Bailey has Cushing's Disease.

He went in to the vet four weeks ago to have a big lump on his knee checked. It was a seroma, a non-painful sac of fluid caused by pressure when he rests his weight on his left knee with his foot out behind him. I thought it would be nothing major and was relieved to be right.

While we were there that day, his vet said that she had just had an unusual case where a dog had been unable to walk and they thought it must be a neck injury. The dog had tested negative for Cushing's several times before but consistently had an elevated alkaline phosphatase (ALKP) level, and something made Dr. VM do another Cushing's test. It came back positive, they started the lysodrine treatment and the dog is walking again.

Bailey has had 2 previous Cushing's tests two years ago due to his ALKP being elevated for about three years now. The first one was "probably negative" so I had her do another test and the result was negative. Two days after we were there for his knee, I dropped him off and they did another test. This one came back suspicious for Cushing's and the endocrinologist at Auburn suggested doing a different test. I took him in last week (to our vet, not Auburn!) and they drew blood every two hours in hopes of catching it if it is Cushing's.

I'm still waiting (anxiously) to hear the results of the second test and praying that it will be positive, that Bailey has Cushing's and not DM, and that the Cushing's will respond to treatment. Two years ago when we had our first Cushing's scare, I never thought I would be praying for him to have it. Of course, back then I had never heard of degenerative myelopathy. Cushing's is treatable so I will take it any day over something that we don't even fully understand and cannot cure.

No comments: