Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Home Cookin'

After delaying her start date for 2 weeks, Bailey's personal chef has finally started work. In case you haven't figured it out, I am the chef! I went to Kroger Saturday and bought all the ingredients:

(broccoli, spinach, carrots, green bell peppers, tomatoes, ground mustard, ground ginger, garlic, grilled chicken, tofu, brown rice, EVOO, and Tums for calcium)

Anyone who saw me putting all of these items into my shopping cart would have thought I was a very healthy eater. Obviously, they don't know me!

Monday night, I laid out all the ingredients (because of course I had to get a picture!), then I rinsed everything really well. I actually found boil-in-bag brown rice, so that was easy. I put the broccoli and carrots into a second pan to boil. The spinach went into another pan to cook. I chopped the green bell pepper using my wonderful new chef's knife that my mom got for me from Pampered Chef, because who shouldn't be a pampered chef, right? (Thanks, Mom!) The recipe called for the pepper to be steamed, so I got creative and pulled out a colander, put the pepper in it and held it over the pot of spinach that was putting off lots of steam. Once the vegetables were done, I pressed the garlic, drizzled the olive oil, measured the spices, chopped the tofu, and put everything but the rice into the food processor and pureed it all. Knowing Bailey, I was afraid if I did not puree it, he would pick and choose which things to eat, and I wouldn't have blamed him! The end result looked like this:

It looks like guacamole with rice in it (and one carrot that the food processor did not get). Seeing the end result, I was even more apprehensive that Bailey would actually eat this food. I was encouraged though that for the last several steps, he was sitting right beside me, sniffing each ingredient with interest. So I added some to his regular food (we will be taking the transition to this diet slowly!) and put the bowl back in its holder. I called Bailey, and called him again, and called him again. It wasn't looking too good at this point . . .


. . . but I think he liked it! So if you're looking for me on Sunday afternoons now, I'll be at home cookin'. :o)