Monday, June 4, 2007

Dogs Are Not Disposable

Used tissues are disposable. Some contact lenses are disposable. Dogs are NOT disposable.

I brought Bailey home when he was only 6 weeks old. He was the first to leave his litter, and he cried all the way home. I tried to reassure him, calling his name, and then realized that he did not know his name yet. The first time I fed him, he reached for the bowl with his back legs stretched out behind him, expecting some other puppy to crawl under him to get the food, I guess. Later, I was sitting in the floor with my back against the sofa, and he crawled behind me and fell asleep. That was February 2, 1996 - 11 years, 4 months and 2 days ago. That was his first day as my baby.

And he's still my baby. He required a lot of care as a puppy, and he needs care now. But he is alive, happy, active, loving, playful, faithful, protective, adorable, and he is not disposable. I will do everything I can to keep him alive, happy, and active, even when it gets tough. I will not give up him on. I will not replace him with a younger, healthier dog just because that would make life easier.

Anyone who could doesn't know what love is...

Love is patient, love is kind. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails. I Cor. 13:4,7-8

No comments: