Saturday, April 28, 2007

A Busy Few Days

The last few days have been a little crazy.

Thursday morning at 8:00, I took Bailey to the vet for a nail trim and so I could consult with the doctor about treatment. This was the first time we had seen her since Bailey's DM diagnosis. She was wonderful, and spent an hour and a half going through my 2 pages of questions, answering what she could, and making a list of her own questions to ask the neurologist at Auburn when she gets a call back. She also promised to bring me a life jacket and ramp that we can use for Bailey. We have the best vet in the world, if you haven't picked up on that yet!

Thursday night, I babysat and did not get home until 10:00.

Friday morning, back at the vet at 8:30 to pick up the aminocaproic acid and n-acetylsysteine (DM meds) which finally arrived! I also picked up the life jacket and ramp that Dr. VM brought in that morning even though she was flying out of the state that day. (Have I mentioned how great she is?!)

Friday night, I had to work late because I got there late Thursday after the long consult and Friday after picking up the meds. So I did not get home from work and Walmart until 8:00. Midnight was our first administration of the aminocaproic acid (EACA) and the n-acetylsysteine (NAC). I felt like I was back in a biology lab, mixing up the solutions. Both of the meds have to be mixed with chicken broth to make them more palatable. The NAC gets mixed 9mL with 36mL broth, which makes 3 doses. The EACA gets mixed 2mL with 1mL broth each dose. They both have to be given 3 times a day for now, and on an empty stomach. So for this weekend anyway, our schedule is midnight, 8:00am, 4:00pm, repeat. The times will change when I'm working, of course.

Crashed as soon as the meds were given last night, hoping that if they did make Bailey nauseated, he wouldn't notice if he was asleep. Prayed that he wouldn't vomit during the night! Set the alarm for 8:00am.

At 7:50 this morning, Bailey was up and wanting out of my room. Meds at 8:00, to the park a little while after that, where he walked 20+ minutes and loved it. Back home, resting for an hour before feeding (no bloat allowed here!), vitamin E, vitamin C, synoviG3, treat and food. Looooong nap, for Bailey. I finished watching The Queen and then had to get ready for an appointment to have my hair cut at 1:15, then came home and Bails and I took a 2 hour nap! We missed the 4:00 meds by an hour because neither of us could wake up.

He LOVES the new meds. Really, he loves the chicken broth, but I'm not going to tell him there's medicine in there too! He is not fond of liquid meds and having mommy squirt them down his throat, but I figured out that if I squeeze the syringe very slowly, he likes to lick it and it actually mostly ends up in his mouth instead of on the floor. I tried to get a video of him taking the meds, but my camera battery was dead.

Bailey also discovered watermelon yesterday. At first he thought I was crazy for trying to give him fruit (typical reaction for him), but when I sat down to eat my piece and he wanted what I was eating, I pointed to his bowl of watermelon and he finally ate it. He chewed each bite thoroughly (very cute) and ate all that I gave him. I think he liked it. ;o) He ate some more today.

Next time, I'll tell you all about Bailey's new personal chef who starts tomorrow.

No comments: